Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Isaiah 61:1-2

Have you read this lately?

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn...

This verse was presented in church in conjunction with our stewardship campaign. In the spirit of 'give so these things can be done'.

I get that, I really do...but it made me question...

If I give to my local church, do these things REALLY happen? I mean, most of the money given to the local church stays in the local church. It is used for electricity and salaries and new music for the choir and programs for our children. Things that some might deem necessary...

Is it really used to preach good news to the poor, bind up the brokenhearted, proclaim freedom for the captives and comfort all who mourn?

I guess some would say so because we have programs in place where some of these things are happening that some of this money might find it's way to...

It just made me question...

Is my money being given and used the way God would want it to be? Should it be given to a different place? Once given, no matter the place, should it be used differently?

Are we being good stewards...in the giving and the receiving...

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ My Life, Such as it is... said...

That's why Lottie Moon, Annie Armstrong, & Mary Hill Davis offerings are so important. 100% of those designated funds go directly to the mission fields they are desiginated for. Lottie Moon is International, Annie Armstrong is North America, and Mary Hill Davis is Texas. But it is a good question; one the church needs to seriously pray on.

C said...

I think you would really enjoy reading "Pagan Christianity." Gives you LOTS to chew on, grapple with, love, hate, etc.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed