Saturday, July 12, 2008

Do You Flush...

...every time?

Remember that whole save money and the earth thing?

Well, I recently received my water bill and sewage bill (yes, they are 2 seperate bills here) and they were HUGE! UGH!!

So, reluctantly, I have cut down on my baths (because my tub is huge and takes a lot of water to fill and therefore, a lot of water to dispose of) and we are not flushing as often.

I decided that it is silly to flush with every use. Not to mention it is sucking up our money. So, there are times when we don't flush. If we just do 'number 1', we may use it about 3 times before we flush. Or, as my friend would say, we share a flush. That means, if everyone has to potty (like when we all get home from the store) we all take turns potty-ing before we flush...yup 3 (or sometimes 4, if we can get Kaylee to do her business) pee-pees and one flush.

Just in case you are wondering, if we do #2 it leaves right away. No sharing a flush on those!

I have decided that this is another one of those save money and it happens to save the earth things.

So tell me, do you flush every time?

4 comments:

C said...

We live by the old adage -

"If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown then flush it down."

I also put either gallon containers or coffee containers (filled with water) in your tank to offset the amount of water it takes for one flush (our toilets are circa 1969 - wall mount - could fill a small pool with every flush!).

Another great tip is to keep a bucket under your sink pipes (take off that bottom part) and use your grey water to flush your toilet. You just pour it straight in and it flushes away!

~LL~ said...

:-?

Oh MY....I am LMBO!!!

you know, I'm all for saving the earth and all, but ewwww.....(not judging....but some things, I just have to suck it up and pay for it.)

BUT...in order to go green here is my justification...we are on a septic system, so any water down the pipes goes into the yard....the more I flush, the more I water the trees. HEEHEE!

Cammie said...

Christine,

Good to hear from you. It has been a long time.

I knew you would be right there with me! I had forgotten the container in the tank trick. I did that years ago (when I was single and living on a private school teachers salary and couldn't make the ends meet). I must do that again. As a matter of fact, it will be done by days end!

LL,

Glad you're still here after our last discussion. I am glad we can disagree over an issue and still remain readers and commenters!

I understand the 'grossness' of the issue. I guess I am sorta used to it. When we were little, we could not flush the toilet if we got up to go to the bathroom in the night. Our loud commodes would wake the whole house. So I guess I am just taking it one step further with only flushing about 4 times a day. BTW, if you think this is gross, you should go to Christine's blog and read about the family wipes! Couldn't get on board with that at all!!!

Thanks for your comments girls!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

We have been flush it now people. But, I, like you, think it is time to try other options. What is the saying "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." I guess we can all be a little more environment friendly.
Thanks for coming by and offering encouragement and prayer this morning. I sure need it. The encouraging words are awesome.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed